The Ministry of Health announced the death of a 65-year-old Bahraini female on Monday, 16th March 2020. The patient was registered as an active case of COVID-19, and she had also been suffering from underlying and chronic health problems.
Apart from her case, the Ministry stated that all other COVID-19 patients in the country remain stable, and that they are being treated by a specialised medical team, in accordance with guidelines set by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
65-year-old Female in Bahrain Dies due to COVID-19
According to Bahrain News Agency, the deceased female had returned from Iran through an indirect flight last month. Upon her arrival in Bahrain, she was immediately placed in isolation, received extensive treatment, and had not entered the general population.
The Ministry of Health expressed its sincerest condolences to the patient’s family.
Meanwhile, Bahrain’s National Taskforce for Combating the Coronavirus (COVID-19) held a press briefing on Monday at the Crown Prince Centre for Training and Medical Research at the Bahrain Defence Force (BDF) Hospital. The taskforce highlighted the current status as well as future plans to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the country.
The Minister of Health, Her Excellency Faeqa bint Saeed Al Saleh, stated that all active cases in the country have been linked to international travel, and that no local transmissions have been identified. She added that all active cases are receiving ongoing medical care based on recommendations provided by the WHO.
Al Saleh mentioned that if the number of COVID-19 cases increases, hospital beds will be assigned on a priority basis. That being said, she clarified that medical treatment will be available to citizens at all times, and that the Ministry of Health will implement measures to comply with social distancing recommendations.
The Minister also reiterated the importance of trusting only official and verified sources of information, and avoiding the spread of rumours on COVID-19.
Meanwhile, the Chief of Public Security, Lieutenant-General Tariq Al Hassan, said that Bahrain’s approach in addressing the spread of COVID-19 is supported by His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa and His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the Crown Prince, Deputy Supreme Commander, and First Deputy Prime Minister.
Al Hassan cited the following measures taken to combat COVID-19:
- Flight reductions;
- Strict monitoring at all ports of entry; and
- Comprehensive testing for COVID-19.
What’s more, these additional measures will be taken:
- Limiting public gatherings to 150 people; and
- Contact tracing mechanism to inform citizens of the different routes of active cases.
The Chief added that people who have had direct or indirect contact with an active case are required to undergo self-quarantine and call 444 to schedule a medical examination.
For his part, Lieutenant Colonel Dr. Manaf Al Qahtani, Infectious Diseases Consultant and Microbiologist at the BDF Hospital and Member of the National Taskforce for Combating the Coronavirus, presented the following summary of cases in Bahrain:
- 64 active cases, of which 62 are stable and two remain critical;
- 85 active cases as part of the International COVID-19 Repatriation Programme (ICRP), all of which are stable;
- 77 cases that have been discharged after responding positively to treatment; and
- 147 cases that have been discharged after completing the 14-day quarantine period.
As the entire country — and the world, for that matter — takes strong measures to combat COVID-19, we should also be doing our part as members of the general population. So please take the time to read these five ways to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.