On top of the precautionary measures issued a few weeks ago, Bahrain has recently enforced additional measures to help contain and prevent the spread of the outbreak.
The decision was made during a meeting of the Government Executive Committee on Monday, 7th April 2020. The meeting — held remotely — was chaired by the Crown Prince, Deputy Supreme Commander, and First Deputy Prime Minister of Bahrain, His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa.
Bahrain Enforces Additional Measures to Combat the Pandemic
During the meeting, the Crown Prince emphasized that the health and safety of all citizens and residents of Bahrain remains a top priority, Bahrain News Agency reported. He also shared that the National Task Force for combating the pandemic has been doubling its efforts.
Notably, the Crown Prince cited the strength of the country’s telecommunications infrastructure, which has helped in maintaining efficiency and smooth communication among all Governorates amid the crisis. He also reminded all the citizens and residents of Bahrain about their shared responsibility in the nationwide efforts towards combating the outbreak.
Based on the reported submitted by the National Medical Task Force for combating the pandemic, which is headed by His Excellency Lieutenant-General Dr. Shaikh Mohammed bin Abdullah Al Khalifa, Chairman of the Supreme Council of Health, the following decisions were made, effective from 19h00, 9th April to 23rd April 2020:
- All movie theatres shall remain closed.
- All commercial sports gyms, fitness studios, swimming pools, and recreational facilities shall remain closed.
- The activities of all restaurants, tourist facilities, and places that serve food shall remain limited to external orders and delivery services only.
- Shisha cafés shall remain closed and their services limited to takeout and delivery services only.
- All salons shall remain closed.
- All non-essential medical services provided by private health clinics shall remain suspended.
- The first hour of grocery store openings shall remain dedicated for the elderly and pregnant women only.
- Public gatherings shall remain limited to 5 persons or less. Everyone is encouraged to stay at home and go out for necessities only.
- All citizens and residents are required to wear face masks when out in public.
Here is the official announcement posted by @BahrainCPnews on Twitter:
HRH the CP #Salman_bin_Hamad: Precautionary measures are enacted to ensure the continued health and safety of citizens and residents in the Kingdom of #Bahrain pic.twitter.com/hcqt0fgdls
— اخبار سمو ولي العهد (@BahrainCPnews) April 7, 2020
Guidelines for Businesses and Private Sector Enterprises
Aside from the above measures, the following guidelines have also been prescribed for businesses and private sector enterprises.
For commercial and industrial businesses that provide goods or services directly to consumers, they may open and resume operations as long as:
- Employees and visitors are required to wear face masks.
- The number of employees must be reduced and overcrowding in stores prevented to ensure social distancing at all times.
- The stores must ensure continuous sterilization, including external premises, in accordance with guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health.
- Queuing outside stores must be arranged in accordance with social distancing measures issued by the Ministry of Health.
Meanwhile, private sector enterprises are urged to follow these guidelines:
- If and when possible, maintain remote working.
- The number of employees shall be limited at any given location, and they should adhere to social distancing measures.
- The number of employees using corporate transportation methods, such as buses, shall be reduced.
After discussing and deciding on these measures, the Government Executive Committee concluded their meeting by stressing the importance of everyone following the guidelines and combating the outbreak, as part of a united “Team Bahrain.”
As the Bahraini government continues to exert tremendous effort in combating the pandemic, let us also do our part by following the above guidelines. Let us stay home, go out only when necessary, practice social distancing, and wear face masks when out in public. In addition, check out these 5 ways to prevent the spread of the outbreak.